Hurricane Sandy: Philadelphia Links
October 29, 2012 § Leave a comment
They say imitation is the best form of flattery. Well, I have long admired Research Buzz, and since I am compulsively following Hurricane Sandy and I need something to do as I ride out the storm…
Inspired by this monstorm, and by the NYC resources over at ResearchBuzz, (oohhh, and I see she has a nice Twitter List, too), I have decided to compile some resources here for the Philadelphia area, since Sandy seems to be packing a punch headed right at us.
First of all:
Anyone needing shelter from Sandy can send the text message SHELTER followed by the zip code to 4FEMA (43362).
PECO Emergency number: 1-800-841-4141
- The Philadelphia Inquirer Hurricane List
- Philadelphia Weather
- Philadelphia Weather – from the National Weather Service
- Amy Rosenberg – Philadelphia Inquirer
- Stephen Sterling – Weather reporter for the Star-Ledger in Newark, NJ
- Jason Nark – Reporter for the Philadelphia Daily News
- Hurricane Central – From the Weather Channel
- NewsWorks – extreme weather
- NewsWorks – Interactive map tracking Sandy
- Philly.com – What to expect from Sandy hour-by-hour
- NY Times Pennsylvania Guide to Hurricane Sandy – state-by-state guide (some good Twitter links here, too)
- Sandy versus Katrina, and Irene: Monster Hurricanes by the Numbers – From Scientific American
- Every hurricane visualized since 1851
I’m posting this before I have compiled everything. Our Internet service is going in and out, so I will post updates as I can. Meanwhile, I hope this is helpful as we all ride out the storm.